3 thoughts on “Visual Artefact –”

1. Daniel, what a wonderfully personal artefact! I love your first image. It’s quite beautiful. The light from the screen and the rapture on your face definitely suggests that there might be some form of enlightenment hidden beyond what you are seeing. The blurriness add too because it supports the idea of the lines between the body and technology being blurred too.

2. Nice work here Daniel! The visual communication here is really superb, and i like how you’ve used the sequence of images to signal, not only the broad theoretical areas we’ve been exploring, but also a rather practical example – RSI from body posture! As someone who spends rather a lot of time on a chair working in front of the screen, it is definitely something I recognise!

Image one seems to be all about the enticement and promise of the digital, the light drawing us in, such that we forget our bodies – conveyed rather hilariously for me in image 2! After all that lifestreaming however, we are still come to the hard (and painful) realisation that we still have bodies, and they have been effected by our posture.

Interesting comment here on the reciprocal and co-constitutive relations that Bayne (2015) discusses – it seems here that your body is quite directly shaped by the ways laptops are designed (screen and keyboard together, requiring the body to hunch), while at the same time, the very presence of those features are designed in response to our senses.

In this reading, the RSI exercises seem to be a kind of return to a natural ‘human’ state, and perhaps this was another comment that your artefact was making – we need to bring ourselves back to an authentic condition after using technology that has influenced us?

Great artefact Daniel, nicely done!

1. Not so sure I have an authentic condition uninfluenced by technology. Put simply, I tend to hunch a lot no matter what technology I am using. The trick is balance of activities, so doing things during the day when I need to walk or stand up regularly. This could be an argument for finding time to be offline but I’m quite sympathetic to the idea that there is no hard boundary between online and offline anymore. Given that devices are developing to incorporate more body movement (mobile tech, standing desks with treadmills, etc) maybe I just need to use technology differently? Except the social conditions of my work (cost of the devices, space in the office) prevent me from doing so.

Hmmmm.