Netography 5 – A conceptual map of Drumeo as a space of flows

Click here for map

This map takes inspiration from Hines (2000, p.13) suggestion that ethnographic fieldwork could be based around tracing connections rather than focus on a single location.

Like any map, and in fact more so than cartographic maps, this is a personalised, time bound representation with many omissions. The pages themselves can expand as you scroll downwards and the surface content updates regularly. What I’ve tried to show is the blurred boundaries of Drumeo as a self contained website, as a networked site within the wider internet and as physical site “in real life”.

One of the things that it perhaps should reflect is that there are several teachers streaming their lessons onto Drumeo all over North America. There are also far more users than I have indicated.

One could also make a link between Hines connectivist approach and  an excellent lesson on Drumeo by Stanton Moore on musical mileage (click here). In this lesson Stanton explains how you can trace connections between certain drumming patterns and apply them in different cultural contexts. You can take the sticking pattern RRLRRLRL and play it in a New Orleans funk style, Brazilian Maracatu or Cack Handed English Indie Drum and Bass. So rather than focus on a single location as a drummer you situate your work in the space of flows.

19 thoughts on “Netography 5 – A conceptual map of Drumeo as a space of flows”

1. Hi Daniel

I really like your ethnography, thanks for sharing this experience. I like it because of the great self-reflection it has afforded you – it voices so many of the type of things we experience in online groups but which often remain unacknowledged. I like the way you have explored lots of aspects of the mooc – the political, the participation, the peer reviewing, the lecture … but what I like best is that I feel I have really experienced a bit of the mooc myself and although I won’t take up drumming any time soon, you have enabled a way in to a community I wouldn’t have had a clue about. (Now, where are those chopsticks …. !)

Cathy

2. Pingback: generic ventolin
  3. Pingback: ciprofloxacin cost
  4. I don’t even understand how I stopped up right here, but
    I thought this put up was once good. I don’t realize who you might be but certainly you’re going to a famous blogger for those who are not already.
    Cheers! adreamoftrains web hosting company

5. I’m impressed, I must say. Rarely do I encounter a blog that’s both educative and amusing,
    and let me tell you, you have hit the nail on the head.

The problem is something which not enough men and women are speaking intelligently about.

I am very happy I stumbled across this during my hunt for something regarding this.

6. Great blog! Do you have any recommendations for aspiring writers?
    I’m planning to start my own website soon but I’m a little lost on everything.
    Would you advise starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many
    choices out there that I’m totally confused .. Any tips?
    Kudos!