Looking back on this week I think the theme has been improvising with methods (much like the video above).
For one reading, rather than typing notes on one screen whilst having the reading open in another, I experimented with using voice-to-text software. Some amusing typos, some annoying Americanisms (it’s not intuitive for me to say period instead of full stop) and a different cognitive experience. Editing using this software is a pain so I had to pause and compose my notes carefully before speaking. Typing notes allows me to try things out and back track more.
I used a different, more conceptual method to produce a second map of Drumeo.
As promised last week, I tried to employ the methods of political economy to analyse Drumeo (here and here). These were more difficult to write than I first expected. I feel like I can spot economic factors that shape the online community but my posts don’t quite capture my thoughts on the issue fully. But then I read the Hines reading that Netography is inherently partial in its analysis and stopped worrying so much. Hopefully by providing lots of little posts by the end of the month the Drumeo site as a whole will be clearer to any readers of my blog.
Which brings us to my own method for the block. From what I can see there are not many EDC students taking my “make several ethnographic objects as you go along” approach. It’ll be interesting to see how we’ve all ended up interpreting the task differently. In the next 2 weeks I am hoping to produce some love letters, time lapse videos and hopefully copy over some of my posts in Drumeo to this blog to show how I participated in that community.