Emails – Mid Course Feedback and How To Add Variety To My Life Stream

Metadata:

I definitely will be trying out some new note taking tools in the next block given the paucity of my social media usage. Will try and reflect on the experience of using said app as well.

As for playing with algorithms I realise that I have done that a lot when using music software. I may well do a post on this for example:

http://patches.zone/radiohead-groove-pack-ableton-live/

————————————————————————————-

Hi Daniel,

Apologies for the delay in replying, I did read your email on Tuesday, but it quickly got lost in my inbox!

Firstly, absolutely fine for this email thread to go into your lifestream.

I completely understanding if you are not much of a social media user. However, the ‘variety’ of feeds is part of the assessment criteria, so we need to mark your lifestream accordingly. Having said that, you are showing real strengths in the other criterion, so that will help to balance things out.

To be clear, you are not doing badly in terms of variety, but do try to keep using the various feeds you’ve mentioned consistently. I would also say here that you don’t have to think of feeds purely in terms of social media. Note taking apps, something like Evernote (https://evernote.com) would be great. I’d also recommend trying a bookmarking app, something like Pocket (https://getpocket.com/), which would allow you to record website you are visiting. If you are doing lots of reading around the web related to the course, this is a really excellent way of documenting that work in your lifestream.

Hope that helps, happy to discuss some more ideas for feeds

All the best

Posthumanism and the Massive Open Online Course: Contaminating the Subject of Global Education
https://www.routledge.com/products/9781138940826

Dr Jeremy Knox

Lecturer in Digital Education

Centre for Research in Digital Education

University of Edinburgh

+44 131 651 6347

jeremyknox.net

@j_k_knox

From: JACKSON Daniel <Daniel.Jackson@ed.ac.uk>
Date: Tuesday, 28 February 2017 at 11:24
To: KNOX Jeremy <jeremy.knox@ed.ac.uk>
Subject: RE: EDC – mid lifestream blog feedback

Hi Jeremy,

I am conscious that there are not a lot of feeds on my blog. I think this reflects how I engage with Digital Culture in my life in general. As a course secretary I am obliged to be at my office desk, on-line with my emails open 35 hours a week. As a Warden I have to run the facebook group for the halls I am responsible for. I didn’t think the output from either of these activities would be appropriate for the life stream.

Because of the amount of enforced screen time I tend to try and spend as little time as possible using digital devices out of work. I don’t have a smartphone or any personal profiles on any social networking sites and mainly spend my time practicing drums or reading. I have a linked in profile and a tumblr but have not updated either of them for some time. My twitter profile was created for the sake of showing the university Careers Office that I could use social media. I was applying for a job with them at the time. After not getting the job I didn’t use it again until this course started.

So bar Soundcloud and liking every music video I listen to at work I am struggling to think of what I could add. I have the suspicion that I would add things and then have to consciously decide to use them in order to have something show in the life stream rather than having it happen spontaneously.

I suppose I could experiment with different note taking apps as I do the readings for the new block.

Regards

Dan

p.s. would you mind if this email chain went in my lifestream? Very reflexive.

From: KNOX Jeremy
Sent: 27 February 2017 21:52
To: JACKSON Daniel <Daniel.Jackson@ed.ac.uk>
Subject: EDC – mid lifestream blog feedback

Hi Daniel,

Please find your mid lifestream blog feedback below, which we are sending out this week instead of week 6 summary comments. Very happy to discuss any of this further.

(Activity)

Your feeds are mostly from Twitter, and with some from Flickr, YouTube, and Soundcloud. This is the main area to focus on as we enter the second week of the course. I would think about expanding the variety of feeds – tweets are very dominant in your lifestream just now, so it would be good to add some different feeds, and think about alternative ways of demonstrating your engagement with the course.

(Reflection)

All of your weekly lifestream summaries are in place so far, and these have been consistently well written, summarising your lifestream activity succinctly, and demonstrating a high level of engagement with the task. The soundtracks are superb additions to the later ones, and great to see this continuation of the musical links in the course.

(Knowledge and Understanding)

You’ve chosen to blog quite extensively over the course, and this is allowing you to demonstrate a really strong sense of scholarly engagement with the course themes, and critical understanding of some of the key issues.

Overall, your blog is shaping up really well Daniel, showing a really creative approach, which is just what we want to see on this course. However, do bear in mind my suggestions for varied feeds.

All the best for now

Dr Jeremy Knox

Lecturer in Digital Education

University of Edinburgh

+44 131 651 6347

jeremyknox.net

@j_k_knox

2 thoughts on “Emails – Mid Course Feedback and How To Add Variety To My Life Stream”

1. The self education industry is a $355 Million per day industry and is expected to TRIPLE in the next 5 years! And with the right strategy this could be your opportunity to:

Get in early before it is oversaturated.
    Help others go faster while you get paid
    Fix a broken system
    Make an impact on the world
    Get paid for a skill, hobby, passion or expertise you already have (or get paid from someone else’s)

And Tony Robbins, Russell Brunson and Dean Graziosi are finally going to show YOU how to take advantage of it…

(Now if you don’t already know who these 3 guys are then you’ll want to listen up!! They’ve impacted millions of lives and have generated billions of dollars)

Look, if you’ve ever thought about (or even if you never thought about) getting paid for something you know (like a passion or a skill)… or even getting paid from what others know, then you have to attend.

This is one of the fastest growing industries online and in all areas of the world.

And for the first time ever they’re doing a webclass training on how to extract your wisdom (or somebody else’s) and get other people to pay you for it!

You can save your spot here (and when you do register, you’re immediately going to get a brand new, never before seen training from Tony and Dean. No one else will ever get a chance to see this rare training except for us).

kbbmint.com

After hearing what they’re teaching, I truly believe this is the #1 way to make a massive income, make a massive impact on the world and leave a legacy!

And here’s just a fraction of what you’ll learn this week:

The mostly hidden $129 Billion dollar market and how you can make a massive impact and leave a legacy by profiting from it.

The KBB Triangle: The 3 ways to profit (whether you’re an expert with a thriving business, just getting started, or even if you’re at complete rock bottom)

The framework to profit from what you (or someone else) already knows – or by creating community and bringing people together.

Plus you’ll even be able to ask them questions when they do Q&A at the end of the training. (Chat is limited so show up early).

There’s no other time where you’re going to have this opportunity. So BE THERE! Because if you’re not going to make a shift in your life now, then when? And if not with these guys, then let me ask with who?

This is your rare chance to learn from 3 people who started from nothing and went on to generate billions of dollars and build massive companies.

Spots are filling up faster than they ever have, so you need to hurry and go here to save your spot

https://kbbmint.com

Register now and I’ll see you there this week – Plus they did a few brand new “pre-event” trainings that only those who register get access to.

Talk soon