Week 8 Synthesis – Reptiles, Lizards, Worms and algorithmic play

I kicked off these week by making a small slide show to evidence my algorithmic play.  On a whim I invented the alias Montorg P. Lizardo which ended up setting the theme for this week.

I watched a TV programme where an academic expert on worms tried to claim he had great musical insights on music on account of his ability to play with data analysis algorithms. I thought it was a joke but it turns out he does write actual papers on this.

Along with this written synthesis there is also a sort of audio synthesis where I was able to present the posts listed above in a podcast. The main point was to play with algorithmic audio devices to turn myself into a talking space lizard but I did attempt something a bit more ambitious.

I spent some time thinking about Gordon Gekko type financiers and how their algorithmic play has real world impacts.

Worms and lizards are often food for birds which tenuously links to my twitter feed. Sort of. I’ve tweeted every time I’ve read an article I felt touches upon some of the course themes. I had a few more “conversations” with my coursemates than usual. I discussed my dislike of the catch all group noun “creatives” with Colin and there was an aborted attempt to involve others in my podcast idea.

Speaking of feeds some of the blogs that I have subscribed to have fed into my life stream. There was no serendipitous mentions of algorithmic culture or reptiles so I can’t think of anything to tie them to this week’s theme. Oh except they are all American writers (who seems to dominate EdTEch blogging) and an eagle is symbol for America.

9 thoughts on “Week 8 Synthesis – Reptiles, Lizards, Worms and algorithmic play”

1. Looks like you’ve been busy this week Montorg! Your algorithmic play was really great – good idea to change your profile and view the results.

I started watching the TV program about the science of pop, then ended up skipping to the end and happened to skip to the exact scene where the chap essentially says ‘we can’t tell you anything useful’. I probably don’t need to watch the whole thing now, but I also don’t think one can dismiss ‘data science’ so easily, especially by saying there is something ‘uniquely human and undiscoverable’…The task that one assumes algorithms are able to perform seems to be telling here: to discover the secret of pop. Why couldn’t we try using algorithms to help us make music – thinking of Brian Eno’s Scape app: http://www.wired.co.uk/article/brian-eno-peter-chilvers-scape – say something about the instrumentalism that underpins many of the ways technology is employed?

2. Pingback: how to get tylenol