Learning Analytics: The Emergence of a Discipline, Siemens (2013) – Collab Notes

https://app.milanote.com/1CNPpW12l8PVcV/learning-analytics-the-emergence-of-a-discipline-george-siemens-2013

Reflection:

This app felt too similar to padlet for it to be a properly new experiment for me so I decided to try and collaborate with other EDC students in order to see how that changed the process.

First of all I put out a call on Twitter. After a number of days I had two collaborators, Dirk and Cathy.

Having recently read Mike Caulfied’s post on the need for a choral approach to open resource textbooks I was interested in trying to have a combination of different collaborative process on the board:

Strengths and Weakeness, Key Questions – Written together/without attribution.

Please note that I am trying distinguish between truly writing something together and merely writing things “alongside” each other. For the 3 of us to write something together we would have to discuss and agree on a wording. This currently has not happened so it would be more accurate to describe these sections as written without attribution

Summary, Take Home Message – Written “chorally”

I thought it was an important to give everyone a chance to précis the paper themselves. We may choose different aspects to emphasise in the summary. It is also an important skill for every to have a go at, rather than just one person.

Noticeboards written on different sections of the paper – Written individually by the “main” writer then extra notes added by the others once completed.

Hopefully I divided the paper evenly. Again I thought it would be good for each person to have the space to take the lead.  I am a little concerned that taking charge of the set up and doing the first bits of substantial writing I will overly influence Dirk and Cathy’s approach. Hopefully them having their own sections and blank boards will mitigate that. I am mainly using text as the subject doesn’t lend itself to visuals but maybe other two will have some different ideas.

Doing the set up of the summary noticeboard before reading the paper was good for me. I was a lot more critical in my initial reading as the categories (strengths, summary, etc.) were more prominent in my mind.

As of Sunday morning I am the only person who has done any notes. This reflects the difficulty of coordinating other people’s schedules without institutional incentives (i.e. it’s your job).

Oh well.

9 thoughts on “Learning Analytics: The Emergence of a Discipline, Siemens (2013) – Collab Notes”

1. An admirable attempt to get some choral explanations going – sorry to hear it didn’t gain the traction you’d hoped.
    Have you ever worked with a federated wiki? I wanted to get one going last year for my students (I teach EAP), but my peers seemed responded a little like I was speaking in tongues (you want to .. what a post? ‘Fork’?) and I couldn’t gain institutional support to host individual wikis for students to federate.In the end.. well, life and new projects.
    An easier approach to writing together seems to be annotating together – for example, using hypothesis.is, not quite the same though, I realise.. Good on you for giving collaboration a shot.
    Renée

1. I’ve only heard of federated wikis as teaching tool during this course. https://hapgood.us/2015/08/27/quicker-site-claim-process-for-federated-wiki-classes/ this guy appears to know a hell of a lot about this kind of thing.

I think that a few of the other courses on the MSc incorporate the approach (or something like that) into their assessments. I may end up taking them later in my programme http://digital.education.ed.ac.uk/course/assessment-learning-and-digital-education

I’ve not heard of hypothes.is but it looks fairly interesting. Best perhaps for the initial read through of a text and sharing impressions. I think I quite like the blank noticeboard aspect of padlet and the like though. More space to work with.

2. An impressive share, I simply with all this onto a colleague who had previously been conducting a little analysis for this. And he the truth is bought me breakfast since I discovered it for him.. smile. So i want to reword that: Thnx for that treat! But yeah Thnkx for spending some time to debate this, I am strongly about this and enjoy reading much more about this topic. When possible, as you grow expertise, would you mind updating your site with an increase of details? It is actually extremely helpful for me. Big thumb up for this article!