Weekly Synthesis 9 – Togetherness

Lots of togetherness this week. Obviously there was the tweetorial, which brought a lot of the EDC students together to talk about saddles and cheese. Judging by the archives/analytics my ineptitude with twitter may prevent may stop my contribution being reflected accurately. I thought tweeting to the hashtag was enough for a reply rather than tweeting @ every person in the conversation.  Oh well.

Oh well is also my ultimate response to my attempt to write my notes together with 2 classmates this week. It was still worth the effort on my part even if we didn’t have time to carry out everything I planned.

My RSS feed has thrown up a post on federated content for videohosting, bringing people together to be part of the distribution network rather than leaving it to corporate behemoths to make the platform.  Another feed had a remarkably apt article on the battle over LA adoption in schools in New York. Siemens would probably explain this as a failure in organizational capacity, specifically to a failure to build consensus amongst educational stakeholders.

Returning back to twitter, my understanding of the platform is coming together now. People follow you out of politeness if you send them a nice tweet (generally). This means that my tweets are slightly more likely to end up in their feed, but I shouldn’t worry that they are going to see everything that I tweet as the feed changes all the time. At least that’s how I hope it works as I now being followed by @rhiaro  and @BenPatrickWill   both of whom do very proper EDC work. So hopefully I don’t have to make every tweet profound and scholarly.

3 thoughts on “Weekly Synthesis 9 – Togetherness”

1. ‘Judging by the archives/analytics my ineptitude with twitter may prevent may stop my contribution being reflected accurately. I thought tweeting to the hashtag was enough for a reply rather than tweeting @ every person in the conversation. Oh well.’

Indeed, a couple of important points here. ‘Preventing’ a contribution being portrayed accurately is certainly a dilemma for analytics and visualisation. As you’ve noted, certain behaviours are predetermined as privileged, so one would find it difficult to claim much in the way of ‘objectivity’ on the part of the analytics here. It is also interesting that you weren’t aware of the ‘correct’ behaviour in this instance. Do you think other were? To be judged without necessarily knowing *how* one is to be judged seems to be the Kafkaesque world of algorithms and analytics that we’ve been exploring in this block.

Great to read about your experiments with collaborative writing, although it didn’t seem they entirely came ‘together’ in the end. I’m wondering if this would be something more productively done in the ‘community’ block of the course – just a thought about developing the course next time.

Sounds like you’ve had a relatively useful introduction to Twitter, which i suspect is no bad thing – I find it most useful for reading rather than tweeting. Great place to follow interesting people too, and @rhiaro and @benpatrickwill are both that!