3 thoughts on “Tweet

1. By using a don like jacket and locating the video in a book lined study you give yourself an air of academic authority which, in turn, gives what you are saying legitimacy by proxy. I suspect this is a parody of the way elite universities use their academic authority to give xMOOCs legitimacy in the minds of potential students/users/customers (delete as appropriate according to your mindset).

2. “Lovely to see you here on this forum” comments at 4.31.

It is language like this why we did all those IDEL readings on the body in cyberspace, metaphors and location and whatnot. Whilst you say they cannot see you earlier in the video you. At 3.11 you talk about going “there” to the Standford MOOC, yet in physical terms you did not. It is hard to leave our bodies behind. It creeps back in our language and how we think about things. Hence the Stanford staff writing things like “lovely to see you”.

3. Thanks for the once again helpful remarks, Daniel!

“Look” of the video:
    (A) I believe that there are certain expectations we have when engaging with a scholar and these expectations include the appearance of the scholar. So I ackowledge this by wearing what I wear and by sitting wear I sit.
    (B) As I do however believe it is not wise to judge a book by its cover, I could not do this without a wink of an eye. So I am both addressing the expectations AND playing with them. Which is why I put the globe there and used the parody of an old school ethnographer, using Playmobil toys.

“Leave our bodies behind”:
    I make a difference here. On the one side we can be “at university” without physically being there. On the other side though the MOOC says it is happy to see me, which is however not true. If they actually were happy, is they knew I was there, this would be fine. But the way it is done in this case here, it is only the imitation of connection, which I believe is problematic.