Tweet! Vlogging versus virtual classroom

We learn in so many ways and in so many environments but does or should one carry more authenticity than another? If we are thinking about a journal article while we do the dishes, does that carry less value than thinking about a journal article in the library or in the classroom? Does one subject carry more value than another,  surely learning is learning and the act itself holds value regardless of content learned?

Digital culture is a wide net and education could, in theory, be just as wide. Although if you have read any of Gert Biesta’s work on the language of learning, you may want to question the use of the words education and the learning. I believe learning and education are not just for classrooms and I embrace the digital culture of the current world, therefore I have a youtube channel and a blog where you can learn all sorts of things which I have deemed interesting enough that I want to share.

So feel free to go learn how to make elderflower champagne, or how to make a challah bread but in return, I have a challenge for my MSCEDC classmates, what do you have to teach? Go out into the digital and share some “mad skillz” and tweet me. Linzi maybe you should do that pirouette video for your students?

6 Replies to “Tweet! Vlogging versus virtual classroom”

1. That is very true, virtual classroom anyone? Is sharing of information teaching? Is youtube a huge digital education resource?

Lots to ponder.

2. Eli, this post reminded me of my mortifying experience many years ago when I applied to become a TEFL teacher. Part of the interview process required us to teach our fellow interviewees something. The other applicants were brilliant: we were taught the basics of using a chanter, how to ask for directions in Chinese and the Two Step.

I had arrived with only five tea-towels, ready to teach everyone how to transform them into chickens…

We focused a lot on the inherent value of the process of learning (anything!) in Digital Game-Based Learning. Gamers have to learn how to play games and that requires a multitude of skills and attitudes which have real value. How to recognise the value of that learning and how to harness those skills and attitudes within the structures and strictures of an often rigid formal educational framework is the challenge. These are two useful chapters about the transfer of learning from video games to ‘RL’ : http://www.oxfordscholarship.com.ezproxy.is.ed.ac.uk/view/10.1093/acprof:osobl/9780199896646.001.0001/acprof-9780199896646-chapter-2

http://www.oxfordscholarship.com.ezproxy.is.ed.ac.uk/view/10.1093/acprof:osobl/9780199896646.001.0001/acprof-9780199896646-chapter-13

(If you’re interested, I’ll try and get an instructional ‘make a chicken’ video sorted over the weekend!)

1. Brilliant Helen.
      Was your make a chicken learning not as valuable? It’s the kind of team building/ice breaker type thing that plays a valuable role in the corporate world 🙂

I used to use videojug videos on how to fold a napkin as a way to explain eLearning, way back when.

I look forward to your video 🙂

3. Eli, thanks for the challenge. I must admit I’m nervous of YouTube, but I’m not sure why. Any useful sites / literature re. how to get going on it, and the pros and cons of it, and things to bear in mind / avoid / watch out for?

1. Hey Matthew,
      if you are nervous of youtube, why not try the university version Media Hopper?

More than happy to help you with both, feel free to drop me an email 🙂
      Eli