Lifestream summary: week 3

Lifestream summary: week 3

I’ve spent a lot of this week revising and reviewing my lifestream: adding more metadata and reflections based on the readings, our Hangout tutorial and the second Film Festival discussions. As I’ve already mentioned, this process is an interesting one, with the blog allowing for a spiralling* return to ideas and concepts. I did, however, wonder about *your* experience as readers. Will you be willing to return to ‘old’ ground, will you see the additions? Are you a new reader anyway? Or am I simply throwing ideas out into the ether which will never be read…?

This week, I’ve read Haraway and Sterne. Haraway was challenging and I found this YouTube PechaKucha presentation to offer a useful (if not entirely unproblematic) synopsis of her paper. The notion of the cyborg as a metaphor for unity, as a manifestation of a rejection of the dualism of human vs. technology is a rich seam to explore. The cyborg is a ‘complex entanglement’ of the human and the technical; technology is not subservient to the human, nor is it instrumental. The cyborg is a metaphorical rejection of a determinist stance and functions as a conceptual manifestion of the sociomaterial integration of the human and the technical.

I tried to reflect some of these ideas in my visual artefact. I made two false starts on this, trying out a website and a Glogster poster before determining upon Prezi. This in itself was an interesting process: the chosen medium determined how I could present/express my ideas and thus had an impact upon those ideas themselves.

*I’ve been thinking about the connections between this process and Bruner’s spiral curriculum.

Sterne, J (2006) The historiography of cyberculture, chapter 1 of Critical cyberculture studies. New York University Press. pp.17-28. (ebook)

Haraway, Donna (2007) A cyborg manifesto from Bell, David; Kennedy, Barbara M (eds),  The cybercultures reader pp.34-65, London: Routledge. (e-reserve, pdf)

2 thoughts on “Lifestream summary: week 3

1. Hello Helen, a really nice (and nicely critical) weekly summary here.

‘As I’ve already mentioned, this process is an interesting one, with the blog allowing for a spiralling* return to ideas and concepts. I did, however, wonder about *your* experience as readers. Will you be willing to return to ‘old’ ground, will you see the additions? Are you a new reader anyway? Or am I simply throwing ideas out into the ether which will never be read…?’

I think I would see the blog as an ongoing conversation, not only between us but with the wider group at different times. Of course there’s always the danger that I won’t hear your reply with so much happening therefore if there’s something you’d particularly like me to comment on (which I haven’t) please do just let me know. There’s so much attention grabbing content across the lifestream blogs that it’s possible I might miss something so do just shout out to get my attention!

I’m unfamiliar with Bruner’s work therefore please do tell me more if the situation arises in your blog.

1. Hello James,

Hope the playlist building is going well.

Yes, I guess – particularly with our focus in this current block – that it’s useful to consider the blog as a communal space. Discussion around the artefacts appears to have encouraged us to ‘roam’ more into each others’ spaces: I’ve had a lot more comments from others this week.

I was introduced to Bruner years ago when I first trained to be a teacher. He highlighted the importance of revisiting concepts to consolidate and extend understanding: ‘A curriculum as it develops should revisit this basic ideas repeatedly, building upon them until the student has grasped the full formal apparatus that goes with them’ (Bruner, 1960, p.13). The non-linear nature of our blogs and our interactions, along with the multiple strands of information and communication is, for me, facilitating this ‘spiralling’.