@j_k_knox Amplify yes, &also structure/guide human tendencies. Reciprocal engagement b/n humans & human creations. Giving worthship! #mscedc

from http://twitter.com/Digeded
via IFTTT

I’ve tagged this post ‘unity and diversity’. It’s the final part of a string of four posts discussed here. [If I can work out how, I’d like to get the strings of Twitter interaction within my lifestream too. Can anyone advise how?]

I guess our initial reactions to new issues can be revealing of what we bring to the topic from previous life experience. As mentioned earlier on this lifestream, I’m deliberately working from the assumption that none of us arrive on this course unformed by previous experiences. For me, these four related Tweets are an indication of something I bring to considering education and digital cultures.

It’s the question of the one and the many: how to maintain both unity and diversity within a culture, a relationship, a place, an activity. Without one or both poles eating up the other.

I’m interested in how digital cultures negotiate these poles. Looking at the article by Jeremy Knox supplied for our course’s pre-reading, in different formulations, unity and diversity are negotiated by ‘cybercultures’, ‘community cultures’ and ‘algorithmic cultures’. In the latter cultures, Knox concludes, agencies are “much more complex” in their relationships, with “increased entanglement“.

This is a thread I anticipate re-emerging elsewhere along this lifestream. I’ll try and tag it up where I sense it appears. It’s a live issue for me as one who has studied Aboriginal politics in Australia in the latter half of the twentieth century, as a church minister, and as a theological educator. I sense, too, it’s a life issue for all our cultures, digital and/or otherwise.