EDC Week 5 Summary

I’m pleased to say that this weeks ethnography piece has been progressing quite well since I made the decision to jump form my original open course on Learing Analytics to the entirely  different subject on the power of colour through the Future Learn MOOC platform.

In comparison to the first course the new one on the subject of colour, its interpretation, physical characteristics, the way humans perceive and its application in design and living has been explosive. From the very get-go the subject has fostered a multitude of commentary, feedback and activity beyond just the topic of the programme which has provided a proverbial smorgasbord of ethnographic angles upon which to base this mini study.

Being an intrinsically creative subject the interaction has been expressive and, well, colorful.

What has been especially interesting is that, due to the ethnographic angle I have undertaken with this course, I feel much more the observer than the participant.  This is my 10th MOOC and my 6th on Future Learn  but never before did I pay much attention to the backgrounds of the participants, the frequency of comments made or the emergence of dominant voices which have the ability to present and lead a topic. Some of Boyd and Ellison’s work as alluded to in Lister (2009)  as well as inputs from Baym have provided a unique angle to view the progression of the MOOC from. I found myself particularly enamored with the comment ‘typing oneself into being’!

Another emerging observation is that this MOOC is not necessarily taken by people to learn about the subject it self. Some participants, its appears, are taking the programme to improve their written English, and are using the community aspects to practice presenting questions, responding in kind or trying to develop conversation. How this puts a spin on the use of the OER!

What has also emerged, and what reflects what was highlighted in the Lister reading, is that much like Wikipedia, much of the interaction and commentary is driven by a small number of very active users (the 80/20 rule).

I’ve still not found evidence of any kind of greater community or one that is even emerging but their is mostly certainly evidence of micro-communities who have found common themes upon which to interact.

The study continues….

2 thoughts on “EDC Week 5 Summary”

1. Hello Myles, thanks for this weekly summary.

Out of interest, how do you feel the character of your lifestream has been affected by your involvement in the MOOC?

Also, am I right in thinking that the background scheme has changed in concert with the subject of the MOOC?

‘I’m pleased to say that this weeks ethnography piece has been progressing quite well since I made the decision to jump form my original open course on Learing Analytics to the entirely different subject on the power of colour through the Future Learn MOOC platform.’

That’s certainly a considerable leap in terms of the subject matter of the MOOC. I know that things were very quiet on the Learning Analytics MOOC however do you get a sense of this new mooc having a different sense of community?

‘What has also emerged, and what reflects what was highlighted in the Lister reading, is that much like Wikipedia, much of the interaction and commentary is driven by a small number of very active users (the 80/20 rule).’

I really like how you’re using ideas from the readings as a way of looking at the MOOC. You’ll remember from the Lister reading that the authors called into question the earlier assertion about the number of
    really active members of the community producing content on Wikipedia. When there would seem to be different ways of measuring how the ‘workload’ is spread across the community, how might you hypothetically try to make a similar kind of calculation on the colour MOOC?

‘From the very get-go the subject has fostered a multitude of commentary, feedback and activity beyond just the topic of the programme which has provided a proverbial smorgasbord of ethnographic angles upon which to base this mini study.’

I’ll be interested to see how this all unfolds when you come to share your findings. Bearing in mind your creative approach to producing content already within the blog, is your ‘write up’ going to also be colourful, Myles?

1. I hope the jury duty was not too onerous? Not coming from a country that uses this particular system of legal judgement I’ve always been curious as to what the experience would be like. I cant imagine its as exciting as Hollywood sometimes makes it out to be?

I have to say the MOOC involvement has provided some positivity about the Lifestream (not that it wasnt positive before, mind) but the expressive disposition of the topic has made a small difference!

Compared to the LA MOOC I might as well have been on a separate planet. While the LA OER is essentially an xMOOC, and stated as much, there was little to study in terms of community so Im happy to have jumped ship to one that is quite polar opposite and a hot bed of community engagement by comparison.

I’m hoping the micro study on the MOOC can be creative enough – the subject certainly is so this should flow through hopefully.