Late to the party…

Today I jumped ship from the Assessment, Learning and Digital Education (ALDE) course to join Education and Digital Cultures (EDC).   Although I had thought long and hard before deciding which course to take this semester (my last before Research Methods) I still managed to get it wrong.

Late to the party
borrowed from https://media.licdn.com

Thanks to the kind cooperation of the MScDE team I now have all the tools needed to catch up, although as a latecomer it all looks a bit daunting at the moment.  That said, I love the contentedness of it all and it sits well with my love of connected technology and the ‘internet of things’.

I’m a little apprehensive given that I expect to be an outsider for a little while and also because I’ve had a look at some of the other Lifestream Blogs and I can see how much some of the other course participants have achieved already.  I had based my best guess of the amount of catching up I’d have to do on how much we’d done in ALDE so far, but it feels like we were only just getting going over there.

I spent most of this evening deconstructing and digesting Jeremy Knox’s pre-course reading.  I’ve learned more ‘ism’ words in one session than I think I ever have before, such that what looked like five and half pages of reading turned into something of a marathon session, that included finding out more about Humanism, Universalism,  Autonomy, Structuralism, Deconstructionism, Post-Structuralism and Post-modernism, but only really skimming the surface.  Jeremy’s paper also helped me understand the way this course follows the broadly chronological evolution of cyber through community, to algorithmic cultures.

I’ve  deliberately written this before getting up to speed on what Lifestream Blogging is all about.  It might be completely off track but to me it’s always useful to be able to look back and reflect on where I’ve come from.

Right now I know I’ve made the right decision to join this course and, even though it might sound clichéd, I’m genuinely excited about what’s to come.

4 thoughts on “Late to the party…”

1. Welcome Nigel
    I am speaking for myself when I say that I think that this course is going to make us feel as if we are ‘late to the party’ for the duration. It is so diverse and multifaceted for our lifestreams and that is before we add on reading each others which so far has sent me off on additional tangents and new thoughts. As well as our frustrations of IFTTT and aesthetics.
    Enjoy the adventure

1. Thank you for the welcome and reassurance Clare.

>which so far has sent me off on additional tangents and new thoughts
      Absolutely get that, at this stage almost everything looks equally interesting to me and one topic is just as likely to capture my attention as another, but I guess that’s useful learning in itself.

> IFTTT and aesthetics
      Yes! I have to stop the ALL CAPS thing and couldn’t agree more with the need for a more visual representation. We’ll get there 🙂

Looking forward to working with.

2. Hi Nigel, I’m late to the party too! I only just realised that you had joined our course today, welcome. It is quite trying to keep up with everyone’s blogs. I noticed you have some lovely mind maps of the readings we’ve been doing. Please do tell, how did you do them? Are they something you do regularly? Are they difficult to make?

Look forward to seeing what else you post 🙂 . Chenée

1. Hi Chenée and thank you for the warm welcome 🙂
      >I noticed you have some lovely mind maps of the readings we’ve been doing. Please do tell, how did you do them? Are they something you do regularly? Are they difficult to make?
      I create a map for most of the reading I do for a course and add in other related reading or clarification of terms that are new to me as I go along. I then go back to the maps and start to join things together as I gain a better grasp of the topic. I also find them really useful when completing assignments. I usually share them too in case they’re useful to others 🙂
      There’s lots of software out there for creating them and most are easy to use, one you might want to look at is iMindmap, but there are free resources available online too and similar apps for tablets that are generally good value.