Comments from Schwindenhammer

Hello Dirk,

Thanks for this video. You’ll have to forgive me if I’ve misunderstood what you had in mind, however I really like the point you’re making that we need to see the digital (whether that be ideas around transhumanism or whatever) as part of a society more generally: as you say, ’no digital without social.’

Your video seems to challenge those who would excitedly proclaim the possibilities of digital technology without seeing how they might be subject to, or perpetuate, inequality. If the technologies exist that can transform education/what is means to be human, who has access to these technologies, whether through wealth or opportunity? When we talk about embracing digital technology in education, who gets left behind?

If time allows, I’d be really interested to hear your own thoughts on the video – a director’s commentary 😉 – which isn’t to say that it doesn’t stand alone or need explanation: I’m just intrigued.

Thanks again,

James

from Comments for Dirk’s EDC blog http://ift.tt/2k8N3Up
via IFTTT

One comment

1. That is a good point about social equality when it comes to digital access. In my own classroom there is diversity among students in terms of who has internet access and through which device they access it. That is a general statement but I think it covers it all. My school has many computer carts that have either iPads or laptops in them, allowing each student to have the same access to the curriculum here at the school. This does not mean however, equal access at home or away from campus. If I give an assignment that requires internet access, some students will simply not do it, even though they would be able to complete it by going to the local library, for example. So, in a sense, they all have access, but the manner of access is different and sometimes too onerous to really take advantage of. I don’t see a really viable alternative to this. Some have suggested we give each student an iPad to take home. That would be fine but for the fact that some do not have internet access at home either, especially students like mine who come from inner city areas. This has been, and will continue to be, a chronic issue in our schools.